[Clfs-support] cross-compile binutils build errors

axel magnuson axelmagn at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 19 19:43:50 PDT 2009

Hello all,

This is my first CLFS, and I'm ashamed to say I didn't make it very far.

I'm using ubuntu 8.10 64-bit ed. as my host system

working off of CLFS 1.1.0

I have a intel core 2 duo 8300 (Wolfdale) processor

here are the contents of my ~/.bashrc:

set +h
umask 022
CLFS=/mnt/clfs
LC_ALL=POSIX
PATH=/cross-tools/bin:/bin:/usr/bin
export CLFS LC_ALL PATH
unset CFLAGS
unset CXXFLAGS
export BUILD64="-m64"
alias 'ls=ls -l'
export CLFS_HOST="x86_64-cross-linux-gnu"
export CLFS_TARGET="x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu"

I followed all of the instructions to the letter with no odd results up to section 5 where I compile binutils 2.18 .  The patches seemed to apply correctly, as did the compilation (which I copy-pasted from the book), and the make configure-host.  However, when it came time to make, I got the following error:

config.status: creating po/Makefile.in
config.status: executing libtool commands
config.status: executing default-1 commands
config.status: executing bfd_stdint.h commands
config.status: executing default commands
make[3]: Leaving directory `/mnt/clfs/sources/binutils-build/bfd/po'
make[3]: Entering directory `/mnt/clfs/sources/binutils-build/bfd/po'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `info'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/mnt/clfs/sources/binutils-build/bfd/po'
make[3]: Entering directory `/mnt/clfs/sources/binutils-build/bfd'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `info-am'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/mnt/clfs/sources/binutils-build/bfd'
make[2]: *** [info-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/clfs/sources/binutils-build/bfd'
make[1]: *** [all-bfd] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/clfs/sources/binutils-build'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I haven't the slightest what's going on.

Please, any help is greatly appreciated.