[Clfs-support] Why cross-compiling?

booleandomain booleandomain at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 17:52:54 PDT 2009

Hello,

I'm a CLFS newbie. I don't understand why cross-compiling tools such as
binutils and gcc. Let me explain. My CPU is an Intel Core 2 Duo. The
host system is Gentoo Linux running on that CPU. uname -m returns
x86_64. I want my target Linux system to run on the same computer as the
host system, so the target should return x86_64 too. So why putting
x86_64-cross-linux-gnu for --build and --host and x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
for --target? It should be build=host=target=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (native
mode).

Thanks.