[Clfs-support] Tactics for New CLFS Build

Joe Ciccone jciccone at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 15:54:13 PDT 2009

Dan McGhee wrote:
> Just got a new laptop with an AMD Turion and want to take advantage of
> it. My last LFS build was 6.3--I have never used 64-bit. I'm planning
> my strategy and want to solicit comments and ask a couple of questions.
>
> I intend to use lfslivecd-x86_64-6.3-r2160 as my host--I understand
> from the CLFS changelog that it has been updated with lfs-6.4 CLFS
> packages. However, I want to use the development version of the CLFS
> book, which, I think, is using lfs-6.5 packages, patches and scripts.
> I plan to do this by remastering the cd and adding the packages.
I personally would just download the packages onto the target partition
once you have the system booted. But that's up to you.

> I tried to see how close CLFS was to LFS-6.5 but got lost in the
> details. How close is the current development to 6.5? Of course, I
> would share any info I get from building to further the CLFS
> development along.
I could not tell you, most of us do not follow lfs anymore.

> My second question. I see "x86-64" and x86-64 multilib." I can't
> discover what the difference between the two is, and, when looking
> ahead to CBLFS saw "multilib" and "64-bit" build instructions. What
> exactly is the difference between the two concepts?
Multilib contains both 32bit and 64bit libraries. It is useful for
running 32bit binary programs or stuff like wine.

x86_64 is pure64, it contains no 32bit counterparts.