[Clfs-support] chroot, mount:: only root can do that

Roy Bekken roy.bekken at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 05:11:31 PDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 1:55 PM, Joe Ciccone<jciccone at gmail.com> wrote:
> Roy Bekken wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Joe Ciccone<jciccone at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Just a thought... is the binary owned by uid 501 and +s? If so that
>>> would cause it to be run as uid 501.
>>>

>> Yes, I just realized that my self.
>> This should be changed in the book as I got the impression that this
>> was an optional step(8.6. Changing Ownership)
>>

> Not optional at all. Why did you get that impression?

[snip]
To avoid this issue, add the clfs user to the new CLFS system later
when creating the /etc/passwd file, taking care to assign it the same
user and group IDs as on the host system. Alternatively, assign the
contents of the /tools and /cross-tools directories to user root by
running the following commands
[/snip]

It says “alternatively” leading me to think its a local security issue
only and not something that must be done. What it actually says is add
clfs user and give it the ownership if them... english it not my
primary language so I can be wrong.

Since I have my build script in a subdir of /tools I skipped it to
keep my normal users having write rights to them from the host.