[Clfs-support] Cross-compile tools

Joe Ciccone jciccone at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 04:25:01 PDT 2009

Federico Rossi wrote:
> I'm trying to follow the sysroot clfs book for x86. I don't understand
> why the following packages are installed in chapter 5 as cross-compile
> tools: file, groff, shadow, ncurses. I found this entry
> http://git.cross-lfs.org/?p=clfs-sysroot.git;a=commit;h=beea2b33b00ac17b773dcdff45ad49807e6954c0
> for groff, but still can't understand the real reason behind this choice.
>
> Anyone knows?
>
> Thanks.
When compiling in the final system, you need the same exact version of
some of the utilities installed by file / groff / ncurses. It makes like
easier. Shadow allows you to edit the passwd/group file of the target
system, though its not working properly right now.
$CLFS_TARGET-{grpconf,pwconf,passwd} all work fine. That's about it
though, all of the other applications still require additional modification.