[Clfs-support] Tactics for New CLFS Build

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Wed Aug 26 11:10:51 PDT 2009

Just got a new laptop with an AMD Turion and want to take advantage of
it.  My last LFS build was 6.3--I have never used 64-bit.  I'm planning
my strategy and want to solicit comments and ask a couple of questions.

I intend to use lfslivecd-x86_64-6.3-r2160 as my host--I understand from
the CLFS changelog that it has been updated with lfs-6.4 CLFS packages.
However, I want to use the development version of the CLFS book, which,
I think, is using lfs-6.5 packages, patches and scripts.  I plan to do
this by remastering the cd and adding the packages.

I tried to see how close CLFS was to LFS-6.5 but got lost in the
details.  How close is the current development to 6.5?  Of course, I
would share any info I get from building to further the CLFS development
along.

My second question.  I see "x86-64" and x86-64 multilib."  I can't
discover what the difference between the two is, and, when looking ahead
to CBLFS saw "multilib" and "64-bit" build instructions.  What exactly
is the difference between the two concepts?

Any comments, suggestions or warnings about what I'm planning?

Thanks,

Dan

//