[Clfs-support] Qemu-system-arm error with arm varsetaipbl kernel

Alan Lord lord_alan at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Sep 16 06:43:04 PDT 2008

Satish Patel wrote:
<snip />
> Thanks but now thing is that which bootloader support it ? Grub ?  can i
> install grub on it any boot machine via qemu ?? is it possible ? how to
> install bootloader on image file ??
>
> But one more this is when i have compile kernel for arm versetail from
> arch/arm/config and select readyment .config file and compile it and
> create zImage file and i have run that image file on qemu its workin but
> my rootfs not mounted caz i dont have IDE driver in that kernel but i
> can use NFS to mount rootfs.

Hi Satish,

Building Linux on embedded devices (ARM, MIPS etc) is quite a different
ballgame to Intel I am coming to understand myself.

You can't use grub. There are a few embedded bootloaders around, Google
is your friend... http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=embedded+bootloader+linux

Here are a few more links that might help:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-embdev.html
http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/Main_Page
http://elinux.org/Main_Page
http://buildroot.uclibc.org/about.html

Hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs.

Also, I haven't got as a far you yet, I've just been reading quite a
bit... I am about to try and build a small distro for a Chinese MIPS
clone: The Xburst400.