[Clfs-support] mktemp question

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Sep 14 20:14:42 PDT 2008

Ken Moffat wrote:

>  AFAIK the LFS-family of books have always put it in /usr/bin.
> Where did you get these scripts, from a distro ?  Presumably, /bin
> matches what they must be doing. [ googles ... ] Hmm, seems common
> to rh/fedora-derived distros,

Yes - I primarily have run redhat based distros since my start in Linux
(MKLinux DR3 on a 233MHz Beige G3 - I had to buy a SCSI disk just to
install, that was RH 5.1 based)

>  I suppose the FHS would be the ultimate arbiter, but at the moment
> I don't see any obvious reason why this would need to be in /bin.

Since I've already got some scripts - I just moved it to /bin and made a
symlink to it in /usr/bin in case anything CLFS/CBLFS assumes /usr/bin -
as scripts intended to be run as root tend to call thing full path.

I don't care where it goes, I was just curious if that was one of the
utilities that had a standard path that was expected.
-=-
I know RH puts some odd things in /bin and /sbin - I believe
install-info is in /sbin on RH systems even though the info dir has
always been in /usr/share so /usr is guaranteed to be mounted when
install-info is called (and it should be in /bin or /usr/bin anyway as a
user may want to run a local info directory.)