[Clfs-support] Coreutils-6.12: help2man error

Joe Ciccone jciccone at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 16:04:29 PDT 2008

Hugo Villeneuve wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 17:15:50 -0500
> <wwh04660 at ucmo.edu> wrote:
>

>>    Well, your scripts should apply patches not based on the name,
>> but based
>> when the patches should be supplied.
>>

> It depends on your philosophy. My scripts have been built with the
> philosophy that any bug fix should always be automatically applied,
> whatever section you are in. It simplifies my scripts.

I do agree with this to some extent. The uname patch doesn't fix any
bugs, it only adds a little more functionality that goes unnoticed by
the entire build system, only to the user looking at the output. And
adds the hassle of another command. One less thing for people to typo
when typing it out by hand. For scripts it doesn't matter either way.