[Clfs-support] Problem with make in binutils-build

max maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 12:19:15 PDT 2008

I am building my first CLFS system. I am using the files from the
LFSx86_64 cd image. I tried to get the packages from clfs site but i get
404's on the packages and recent stable book. The patches show up
without any issues. In any case i get the following error when running
make in binutils-build:

cc1: warnings being treated as errors
../../binutils-2.17/gas/app.c: In function 'do_scrub_chars':
../../binutils-2.17/gas/app.c:566: error: array subscript is below array
bounds
make[4]: *** [app.o] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/mnt/clfs/sources/binutils-build/gas'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/mnt/clfs/sources/binutils-build/gas'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/clfs/sources/binutils-build/gas'
make[1]: *** [all-gas] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/clfs/sources/binutils-build'

I checked but there are not any patches included for binutils-2.17 with
the original source files. I reran make with -k and it seemed to exit ok
but then I got an error on make install, so I went back to make,
thinking that if i can resolve this issue then maybe make install will
go smoothly. I 've searched around for a solution and continue to do so
but so far I have not found an answer to my question. I am using Fedora
9 x86_64. Everything else has to this point worked smoothly.

-Max

--
Fortune favors the *BOLD*