[Clfs-support] aclocal and /usr/X11R7/share issue

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Sep 8 14:55:26 PDT 2008

I'm trying to build something (rpm if curious) that uses an older
internal version of a library (popt) when it should be using the
external system version of the library.

To fix it, you patch the source, remove the source for the internal
version of the library, and then run autoreconf

autoreconf fails with the following error:

aclocal: couldn't open directory `/usr/X11R7/share/aclocal': No such
file or directory
autoreconf: aclocal failed with exit status: 1

if I make a symlink to /usr/share/aclocal at /usr/X11R7/share/aclocal -
everything goes just dandy, but there is not an X window system installed.

I've tried to find where aclocal is set to try and find a directory in
/usr/X11R7 but I'm at a complete loss. I don't believe it should even be
looking there.

Anyone familiar with the autotools system know why this happening?