[Clfs-support] Booted :)

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sat Sep 6 17:13:55 PDT 2008

x86_64 multilib, build OS was CentOS 5.2 (x86_64)

I saved the glibc32 and 64 test results and the gcc summary if they are
of interest.

My new HD arrived yesterday allowing me to make a partition not in an
LVM. First attempt failed because I deviated from the instructions - I
tried building PAM before shadow following the bclfs PAM instructions to
a tee. At least I thought I did. Either I failed to follow them properly
or it really can't be built before first boot, because the system booted
but any attempt to log in was met by "module not supported" and then a
login prompt.

So - since virtually everything was shell scripted, I just did it again
not using PAM for shadow and it worked.

I used rc1 because I had already started writing my scripts (using an
LVM managed partition) the day before rc2 was released but I did not see
any significant differences.

I did use kernel-2.6.26.3 instead of the kernel in the book as I didn't
see a point in using a kernel that already needed back-patches.

I also used iproute 2.6.26 instead of version in book.
And I used tcl8.4.19 instead of version in book as that's the version in
bclfs so I only wanted to download one version.

Note - after login prompt appeared, several USB messages popped up on
display - probably because I have some USB peripherals attached, a UPS
and a card reader and my display has a non powered hub on it. Plus
there's a bunch of USB headers on the MOBO I have hooked up.

I don't know if there's a way to properly delay login prompt until all
messages are finished, I'm guessing their might be as CentOS doesn't
have that issue, but I suppose it doesn't really matter.

I've got to run out to the store but after that, I'll do the ultimate
test - see if I can use it to build another CLFS (and if succesful, that
second CLFS is what I'll start building additional stuff in).

Then comes the fun part - I don't know jack about udev but I built a
modular kernel, intentionally, as it will help me learn about udev.

btw - reading the devel archives, I saw that there had been some notes
on the newer version of gcc working. I for one am glad the current was
used, it seems every time a newer version of gcc is released, something
I use needs patching to succesfully build with it. Especially if some of
the hardening compiler flags are used. I suppose in the one sense that
is good as it cleans up code, but it always frustrating to have to hunt
down solutions to problems. Using one that isn't the very freshest makes
any of those problems easier to find fixes for, as plenty of people have
probably experienced them. That's just my perspective on that issue.

// OT - gnome has a similar issue - and that's one of the reasons I
switched from Fedora to CentOS - I use a few pieces of software that
seem to always break with new gnome releases and are not fixed until the
Fedora with new gnome has been out for a month or so, requiring me to
build compat libraries from older gnome to use them)

Anyway - thanks for all the hard work that went into this.
I've done LFS twice before - I must say, this one seems to have went the
smoothest.