[Clfs-support] boot process hangs on init.

Andy Kennedy akennedy at techmoninc.com
Fri Mar 21 10:49:47 PDT 2008

Joe Ciccone wrote:

>> Andy Kennedy wrote:
>>

>>> Why can I not get a dynamically linked program to run under the
>>> cross-compile system?
>>>

>> You can run ARM code on a X86.
>>

> Wow, sorry. You _can't_ run ARM code on a x86.

Which is why I was attempting to run the dynamically linked program
under a NFS mounted system -- Problem is, however, that I'm getting a
seg fault when I do it this way, however, when I mount the sucker via
USB device OR via MTD (on jffs2) I cannot get ANYTHING out of it --
which is why I'm trying to debug this system in a controlled environment
(ON THE ARM).

When statically linking a program, if I'm not mistaken, the linker
actually chooses the libs from within the cross-tool directory, also,
these files are ALL .a files.  I have no problem with the tool-chain
compiler, but there is something way out of whack with the cross-built
native library (which, shouldn't this be about the same thing as the
cross-built cross-compiler library with it only being homed
differently?).  I cannot even get the system to dump a core file for me
(the system that I'm on has my custom kernel in it already -- the
default left out most of the stuff I needed).  Something is really
really screwy and I have not found ANYTHING about it.

When init starts (with the system either on USB stick or via the MTD)
the system doesn't crap out and give a kernel panic (the original e-mail
depicted this by showing that I could plug in the USB stick AFTER init
takes control) which means that init is still running, but just hung up
somehow.  WHY?  I've been fussing around this issue for about three
weeks.  I cannot find ANY information about it out on the web. . . I
cannot find out, even, if it is possible to build a GlibC 2.6.1 base on
the ARM -- everything I found said that the best thing to use for ARM
was GlibC 2.3.6 or uClibC.  As for the latter, I couldn't get readdir()
and opendir() to work when statically or dynamically linking to it, so I
cannot use that without doing some major rewrites of my code.

Can you think of anything I can try?

By the way, the last e-mail I send asking about if anyone was on the
list was not me being impatient, but frustration talking -- and truly
wondering whether the list had gone cold.

Andy