[Clfs-support] evince on x86_64

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Mon Jun 2 11:07:52 PDT 2008

 Has anyone got evince working on x86_64(,-64} since we moved to
gcc-4.2 ?  Last year, it crashed the 7.3 X server for me when built
with gcc-4.1.2, until I upgraded pixman (on pure64).  I remember Joe
said it didn't work for him, now I suspect he was already on 4.2 ?

 The book moved to gcc-4.2, I eventually fixed up ppc64 - evince works
there, tested ppc, evince works there too.  Came back to x86_64-64
(gnome-2.20, FWIW), xorg-7.3, evince crashes the X server.  Tried a
few updates, e.g. newer pixman, but no joy.  Used garnome to build
enough of gnome-2.22 to try evince: still crashed the X server.

 I've just finished a build with the current book (whoops, current
book and 2.6.24.4 kernel/headers) and tried reverting to xorg-7.2 :
evince-2.20 still crashes the X server.  Kghostview seems to handle
my pdfs fine, bt it would be really nice to get evince working
again.  I suspect gcc-4.2 is miscompiling something, but either in
the xserver or in one of the libraries.

 Failing any other ideas, I suppose I need to try with gcc-4.2.4,
unless anyone knows of a reliable way to find out which xorg
libraries are intended for 7.3 ?  Somehow, I don't feel confident
that waiting for xorg-7.4 will be a magic bullet.

ĸen