[Clfs-support] CLFS for ppc on LFS 6.3 host

Anthony Drake agmotorsvc at verizon.net
Thu Jul 10 08:02:35 PDT 2008

Joe Ciccone wrote:
> This is most likely because your prog has the wrong path of ld.so
> embedded in it. If you get a target binary, run this command on it and
> compare it to your shared hello world binary.

Joe,
Right again.  The binary was expecting /tools/lib/ld.so.1, as expected in CLFS cross compilation environment.  The target has /opt/ppc/powerpc-linux/lib/ld.so.1.  To see if I could get the shared library loader resolved, I added a link, then set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to pick up libc.so.6, and copied libgcc_s.so.1 from cross-tools on my CLFS machine, then joy! The shared version of hello world actually ran.
 I suppose I could go back and reconfigure binutils --with-lib-path= set to the target library path.  I guess that sets the ld.so path that linker encodes in binaries.
So this is all forward progress.   My next step is to attempt to build some packages with powerpc-gcc, which seems daunting in that there are several interdependent packages that need to be built and installed to work together: passwd, userlib, pam, and on and on.  I plan on consulting CLFS for hints as to how to set a build environment which will use the cross compiler, linker, librarian, etc.
So thank you, you provided just the hint I needed to get in and find what was wrong.
Regards, Anthony Drake