[Clfs-support] CLFS for ppc on LFS 6.3 host

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Tue Jul 8 14:33:51 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 01:26:33PM -0700, Anthony Drake wrote:
> Ken,
> First, thank you for going to the trouble of helping me.
> In answer to your question 1 below, I did apply all patches stated in chapter 5 of the book, and I did set STARTFILE_PREFIX_SPEC to "/tools/lib/" in gcc/config/rs6000/linux.h.  As I follow the steps I double check that sed operations and the like actually provide expected results, using diff or otherwise.
> As regards question 2: CLFS_HOST="i686-cross-linux-gnu"; CLFS_TARGET="powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu".
> For question 3, my command history is gone for all but the last attempt which does indeed compare correctly with the book, which incidentally built to completion with success.

 So, that problem is gone.

>   Unfortunately the target for which I need to build ppc binaries is running a kernel version 2.4.21, which will not load and run a binary (hello world) built using my clfs cross compiler.

 Yeah, this is the --enable-kernel=2.6.0 in the book.  One reason
for using that is that we moved to nptl instead of linux-threads.
You cannot run any current clfs under a 2.4 kernel.

 As to what version of glibc can run under a 2.4 kernel, I've no
idea.  Sorry I didn't spot that showstopper earlier.

ĸen