[Clfs-support] booting from usb stick

Joe Ciccone jciccone at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 16:36:37 PST 2008

mike wrote:
> hi
>
> i've some trouble to boot from usb stick.
> i use my current kernel and a minimal clfs file system. bootloader is
> grub. the kernel is booting but hangs on the point to mount the rootfs
> read only. grub boots with: kernel /boot/usbkernel-2.6.23
> root=/dev/sdb1 vga=791
> on my laptop the hdd is also a 'scsi' disk and there it boots fine. i
> think the kernel is not ready with usb device scanning while mounting
> the rootfs ro has started. has any one a idea?

In the kernel documentation, kernel-parameters.txt, I found a few
options that might be useful to you.

        rootdelay=      [KNL] Delay (in seconds) to pause before
attempting to
                        mount the root filesystem

        rootwait        [KNL] Wait (indefinitely) for root device to
show up.
                        Useful for devices that are detected asynchronously
                        (e.g. USB and MMC devices).