[Clfs-support] Fwd: clfs -x64 net-interface problem

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Tue Jan 22 11:37:49 PST 2008

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 03:49:32PM +0000, b-vol wrote:
> Following the posting below,  I did some research, the netdevice is a
> - Marvel 88E1116  gigabit controller.    It is  not in kernel versions
> 2.6.23.13/14.     Gentoo  folks  however  seems to have managed to get it
> working.  It is certainly working on suse10.3.
>
> If one was able to  fetch  even a    binary  can  someone advise if   devices
> attached to  the pci bus can  be  enabled  via drivers dumped
 Trying to use a binary is asking for trouble.  Googling for
'88E1116' finds a lot more than googling for 'Marvel 88E1116',
including
http://linux.hostweb.com/TopicMessages/comp.os.linux.hardware/1994939/1/Default.aspx
 where somebody suggests using the forcedeth driver (nforce).

 In general, if something works in a recent distro, that mostly
means you can use 'lsmod' to see what got loaded.  The days when
distros carried a lot of patches that hadn't gone upstream are
mostly past.

 If that doesn't work, try getting source from the manufacturer's
website, and building it as an external kernel module.

ĸen