[Clfs-support] cblfs: A suggestion for /usr/bin/*-config in multilib

Joe Ciccone jciccone at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 14:54:53 PST 2008

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 08:58:33PM -0500, Joe Ciccone wrote:
>
>> Ken Moffat wrote:
>>
>>>  So, at last the suggestions:
>>>
>>> 1. Would it be useful to add a general page about /usr/bin/*-config
>>> to cblfs for multilib ?  It could suggest that whenever a -config
>>> program is installed, it will at worst do no harm to move it to -32
>>> and/or -64 as appropriate, and symlink it to multiarch_wrapper. (If
>>> you only build it in one size, the symlink will prevet any configure
>>> script of the other size (or other API, or whatever the correct name
>>> for -m32|m64 is) from finding it.
>>>

>> This is already done for the most part, And if I've missed something, it
>> needs to be changed.
>>

>  Actually, it turns out that many of my problems were from xmkmf,
> particularly the several configure scripts that decided, for -m32,
> that X was in /usr/lib64.

Weird that what was currently in there didn't work for you, I'm kinda
curious now. I saw the changes you made, they look pretty good to me.
>  It goes all the way back to my "how on earth do I get this mess of
> programs to build for 32 and 64 in a way that I can test them ?"
> thoughts about modular X.  To start with, I built a core X as
> 32-bit, including enough to run twm, xterm, and a few apps as
> 32-bit.  So everything was built 32-bit, then I rebuilt most of it
> as 64-bit, but not the utilities.  Gradually, I dropped a lot of the
> 32-bit stuff.  Late last year I decided I might as well use the
> 64-bit compiler for the utilities.  By the time I got to building
> gnome packages, I'd forgotten about that.  As always in a gnome
> version upgrade on multilib, I had to add LDFLAGS='-L/lib
> -L/usr/lib' to 32-bit packages which had gone straight through
> before.  I also added a lot of extra 32-bit things, and some of
> those needed --with-x-libraries= to stop them trying to link to
> /usr/lib64.

xmkmf is also what most configure scripts use to find the libdir and
include dir aswell. If that is reporting the wrong value, it can cause
all kinds of hell. That test you added to the page will definitally help
out with that.
>  Maybe I'll follow up on this when I can be bothered to build x86_64
> multilib.

What I find interesting is that you still needed to force -L/usr/lib
-L/lib when the only difference was the architecture, both multilib.