[Clfs-support] Fwd: Re: bin86 install and chroot(ABLE) test: x86_64 build

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Fri Jan 18 11:12:09 PST 2008

On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 04:38:11PM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:

> > Please note   also  that  after  manually  placing  the links  for as86  and
> > ld86 and  installing lilo;   a running lilo  looked for /etc/lilo.conf  not
> > $CLFS/etc/lilo.conf.  This may be helpful  in any update of the patch.
> >
>  Possible.  I remember that getting it to compile the first time (on
> ppc64, to make sure it wasn't using anything from the host) was an
> interesting experience.  I'm fairly sure I tested the commands which
> made it in to the 1.1 book, and they haven't changed since then.
> Maybe I chrooted into the 'boot' system I had copied over so that I
> could run lilo.static.

 After thinking about this, I remember that I didn't want lilo to be
looking anywhere unusual, because that would complicate things if
the builder needed to recompile the kernel during their build (e.g.
if it was good enough to boot, but missing something important).

 In my own pure64 test system, the contents of /etc/lilo.conf refer to
multiple systems, and I used to update lilo.conf on _all_ of my
"current" systems.  So, I guess I did run it from outside chroot,
but didn't notice that it was reading the file from the host.

 How about if I change the instruction from

/tools/bin/lilo.static -v

/tools/bin/lilo.static -v -C ${CLFS}/etc/lilo.conf

 - does that look better ?  Thanks for the report.

ĸen