[Clfs-support] Chapter 5.8. Glibc-2.7 - build error

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sat Jan 5 18:38:11 PST 2008

On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 02:37:01AM +0100, Łukasz Choiński wrote:

> Hi, i'm trying to compile an lfs system for my Pentium 90 machine
> (i586), the host system is an Athlon 1300 (i686) with a LFS-6.3 os,
> when compiling glibc-2.7 i get this error:

[...]
> /mnt/clfs/sources/glibc-build/libc_pic.a(memcpy_chk.os): In function
> `__memcpy_chk':
> /home/clfs/sources/glibc-2.7/debug/memcpy_chk.c:32: multiple definition
> of `__memcpy_chk'
> /mnt/clfs/sources/glibc-build/libc_pic.a(memcpy.os):(.text+0x0): first
> defined here

 I try not to touch the toolchain if I don't have to, but google
found http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2007-09/msg00058.html

 Unfortunately, it then found
http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2007-10/msg00003.html - reading
the reply to that suggests that i586 might be broken in other ways.

 Personally, I gave up building (on the desktop) for i586 in the
gcc-3.3 days, too many applications seemed to be broken for me but
fine for people using i686.  I suspect that anything less than i686
works (if it does) by luck in recent toolchains.

 Sorry, that probably isn't the answer you were looking for, but
much as I like people hanging on to old kit, something newer will
probably work better.  Failing that, unless someone on this list has
a better suggestion, perhaps clfs-1.0 might work.

ĸen