[Clfs-support] clfs-X64 section7 lilo wont install, host grub wont boot: help

b-vol bvl at btconnect.com
Wed Jan 16 14:31:12 PST 2008

Greetings,

I am doing a clfs build with an amd64 host.  I discovered I could not (for
unknown reasons chroot)  so I have to boot.  I installed and configured all u
to lilo-installation.  this fails as shown  below:-

############7.13. Lilo-22.8 install

AS86 version 0.16.10 or later is required
as86 is not present

LD86 version 0.16.10 or later is required
ld86 is not present

BCC version 0.16.10 or later is recommended
bcc is not present
You will not be able to make floppy2, diag2.img, or lilo.com
make: *** [test.img] Error 1

#########

I then decided to use the grub botloader  of the host running fedora8.
Unfortunately  it fails to boot.

I get  the following message:

############  boot message below:
could not open root device  /dev//xxx  or unknown block (0,0)
please append  a correct "root="

(I have tried various combinations of /dev/sdax /dev/hdax  in /etc/grub/conf
(with the appropriate change in $CLFS/etc/fstab without  success.

Help would be appreciated.

sincerely
bv