[Clfs-support] building packages

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Fri Dec 5 11:00:07 PST 2008

Doug Reiland wrote:

> I am still going thru the document. I am at section 6.4 gcc-4.2.4.
>
> First, I hit the SSIZE_MAX undefined error in linux-host.c. I see a
> couple of hits in the mailing-list, but no real solution. I am surprise
> there isn't a patch for this if it is really a problem.

It's most likely due to some kind of user error.

> Second, so far I have built binutils and now gcc twice. I understand the
> need for this, but am I suppose to create new build directories for
> these the second time around. Maybe a miss something, and I don't want
> to get too far down the road. As documented, you end up applying patches
> twice (getting warnings),  and doing configure twice.
>
> binutils errored the second time I built it, saying configuration
> changed and there is an old config.cache laying around. I ended up doing
> make distclean and rm all the config.cache files, but I am surprised
> this isn't documented either.

Looks like someone is in serious need of closely re-reading the book...

> It seems like documentation should tells us to rm the untarr-ed source,

 From page 5.1...

"Important

After installing each package, both in this and the next chapters,
delete its source and build directories, unless specifically instructed
otherwise. Deleting the sources prevents mis-configuration when the same
package is reinstalled later."

> untar again,

Also on 5.1...

"Important

Before issuing the build instructions for a package, the package should
be unpacked as user clfs, and a cd into the created directory should be
performed. The build instructions assume that the bash shell is in use."

Granted, it doesn't say anything about what to do when you install a
package twice, but then it doesn't need to. You follow the exact same
basic steps (untar and cd into the source dir) before every package
installation.

apply patches,

Yet again, page 5.1...

"Several of the packages are patched before compilation, but only when
the patch is needed to circumvent a problem. A patch is often needed in
both this and the next chapters, but sometimes in only one or the other.
Therefore, do not be concerned if instructions for a downloaded patch
seem to be missing."

rm old build directories or create different
> ones, ...

And once more, surprise surprise, page 5.1. The above-pasted "Important"
note specifies source AND BUILD dirs are to be removed.

> If patches are all the same the second phase, don't document the patch
> steps.

Well, since you are told to rm the old source, then you'll need to apply
the patch(es) again when you install the 2nd time.

Next time, try actually reading the book before complaining about things
that are supposedly not documented.