[Clfs-support] Fix for clfs-embedded section 6.8 uClibc-0.9.30

Joe Ciccone jciccone at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 17:32:32 PST 2008

Simon Haines wrote:
> Just to let the community know that there is a bug in the
> clfs-embedded book (from svn head) in section 6.8.
> The faulty command is: make CC="${CC} ${BUILD}"

I made the update in r4084. My original thought was to use make
CC="\$(CC) ${BUILD}" but the circular dep on make slipped my mind. I get
so used to using := in Makefiles wherever possible, It saves memory and
cpu usage by evaluating the expression right then and there instead of
waiting the variable is used. But you cant pass the parameter on the
command line.

I instead changed it to make CC="${CLFS_TARGET}-gcc ${BUILD}"

I think it's time to also look into modifying GCC so that the BUILD
variable is no-longer needed. I believe the only architecture this was
put in for was mips. It's probably a much better idea to do some spec
file patching then deal with a environment variable that can be
forgotten. It's just something to think about for the future.