[Clfs-support] Hi all - new to clfs and found a minor bug

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Aug 31 05:53:58 PDT 2008

I went through LFS a few times way back when - it's been awhile, but I'm
going through clfs now, with the multilib x86_64 option (OS is CentOS
5.2 x86_64)

Anyway - going through the book has been somewhat flawless, but I did
sort of notice a bug.

http://cross-lfs.org/view/1.1.0-rc1/x86_64/final-system/shadow.html

It talks about optionally using cracklib, and to follow the bclfs
instructions for cracklib.

The create-cracklib-dict command fails if you don't run ldconfig after
installing cracklib before running the command. Easy enough to fix.

I'm not sure if it is a bug in the cracklib instructions, or if the
chroot environment just isn't quite complete enough for the cracklib
install script to figure out to run it itself.

Somewhere it should be mentioned, because you can't set the root
password either until ldconfig has been run.

Other than that, it has been extremely smooth sailing (so far ...)

Thanks,

Michael