[Clfs-support] Updating the kernel

David Broadfoot david at cross-lfs.org
Fri Apr 25 06:12:46 PDT 2008

I concur with Ken. The way I do it is I keep my orogional kernel and add
the new one as a non default option to the botloader. Then, you can play
with the kernel until U get it working perfectly with your system. Then,
change the default to the new kernel. Keep the old kernel available in
case something happens and U need a differeent kernel that works.

When I tried 2.6.24, It did not have any working support for my SATA SIS
chip, among a host of other things. I stayed at 2.6.22 until I got a
stable kernel, 2.6.24.3, to work.

Personally, I have not tried 2.6.25. 2.6.24.4 is stable and should be a
good start. When I get a chance, I will be trying 2.6.25.

Hope this helps,

Dave