[Clfs-support] a problem with the temporary Perl-5.8.8 configuring according the CLFS book

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Apr 9 12:16:19 PDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 02:36:54PM +0000, 杜晓光 wrote:

> Hello, everyone^_^
> Unfortunately I have problems once again. When I boot up the temporary system and managed to configure the temporary perl-5.8.8, I met this problem:
> #include <stdio.h>
> int main() { printf(“OK/n”); return(0); }
> I used the command:
> Gcc ?Cm32 ?Co try ?CO2 ?CDOVR_DBL_DIG=14 try.c ?Clnsl ?Cldl ?Clm ?Clcrypt ?Clutil ?Clc
> ./try
> And I got the following output:
> /bin/bash: ./try: cannot execute binary file
> The program compiled OK, but exited with status 126.
> You have a problem. Shall I abort Configure [y]
> OK. Stopping Configure.
> Before configuring the Perl, I made and installed the tcl, expect, tree, and dejagnu, I did not encounter any problem(but I did not test them).I guess gcc works, doesn't it?
> Could anyone kindly tell me why? Thanks very much.

 For some reason, the output from perl has become obscured (?C for
a single dash, I think) which makes that command very hard to parse.
Maybe that's just a side effect of the minimal environment you have
available.

 I assume from your earlier post that this is x86_64 multilib and
you have followed the 'boot' option.  The 'cannot execute binary
file' message used to be seen by people who had a 32-bit kernel,
which is the opposite of where you are (your kernel must be 64-bit,
because all of /tools is 64-bit).

 Perhaps you missed CONFIG_IA32_EMULATION in the kernel .config
(under 'Executable file formats / Emulations') ?

ĸen