[Clfs-support] Can't mount root at boot

Arnie Stender astender at aagstender.org
Sun Nov 25 06:28:09 PST 2007

Stan,
    Embedded notes follow.

Stan Sander wrote:
> Well, I remember reading somewhere along the line, that the kernel at
> that stage of booting will print out only the major and minor numbers
> of the device in question.  I recognized the major number, 8, as SCSI,
> (so I knew we were dealing with /dev/sd??)  but the minor number was
> too much for my brain, so off to google I went to see if I could
> figure out what disk and partition minor number 49 maps to.  Didn't
> take too long to find that it was sdd1.
That's what I needed. Now that you say it I guess it actually makes
sense although I doubt I would have come up with it on my own, thanks. :-)

>> but when I get the OS
>> up both the host and the CLFS see the data disks first.
>
> How do you know the CLFS kernel is seeing the data disks as sda, sdb,
> and sdc if it won't boot up?  Only thing I can think of to prove this
> is to edit the command line (this can be done from the grub boot menu
> screen, but I can't remember the keystrokes without seeing the screens
> -- it's printed in the help or perhaps at the bottom of the menu
> screen IIRC) doing it from these screens will save booting to Open
> Suse, editing the menu.lst, rebooting, etc. etc.  I would try passing
> root=/dev/sda1 (then sdb1, etc) to the kernel of the CLFS system just
> to see what happens.
>
> Outside of that, you may have to wait for a better expert to answer
> since I'm out of tricks.
>
> Stan

Well, now that you ask me to explain myself I'm thinking that must be an
assumption based on the fact that both kernels are built on the same
code base, although different versions. You are right though I have
never had this kernel booted. Thanks for taking that out of the
equation. Now that the assumptions are gone it makes sense to try what
you said. I'll need to rush off to church shortly but I might be able to
squeeze in a few boots.

Thanks Stan! You did good. ;-)

Arnie