[Clfs-support] Limited recognition of DVD-ROM device

Alonso Graterol alonso.graterol at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 15:21:15 PST 2007

amdsux,

   Thanks for the suggestion on checking udev version. I walked that path
already with no succes. Google was not helpful other than using hdparm...

Maarten,

   Your suggestion makes much sense for me. Chipset in motherboard is VIA
K8M800 + VT8237R. Both generic/default IDE chipset support and generic PCI
bus-master support are compiled into kernel. There is the VIA82CXXX chipset
support to load as module which lsmod shows as [permanent]. Kernel
2.6.22.6does not show additional VIA chipsets for ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL
support section.
   Although VIA site says there is support for VT8237 chips since earlier
kernels than 2.6.22.6 I cannot find a more specific option in kernel
configuration other than VIA82CXXX.
   Any idea how could I make a more appropriated ide controller selection?
   Thanks,

Alonso