[Clfs-support] CLFS stops booting after mounting root

Andreas Hofer Andreas.Hofer at dsa-ac.de
Tue Dec 11 01:01:40 PST 2007

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: [Clfs-support] CLFS stops booting after mounting root
From: Joe Ciccone <jciccone at gmail.com>
To: Andreas Hofer <Andreas.Hofer at dsa-ac.de>
Date: Dienstag, 11. Dezember 2007 00:31:43

> Andreas Hofer wrote:
>>
>> My target is a Vortex86SX (486 instruction set without FPU) and my host
>> is a Core2Duo notebook. The funny thing is that I already managed to
>> build the embedded version of CLFS (VersionSVN-0.0.1-20070715-x86) and
>> run it successfully on the target.
>>

> I'm assuming you followed the chroot method in the book, which is why
> you're having problems. The book is not stuctured for x86_64 -> i486 or
> i686 -> i486. The CLFS_TARGET enviornment variable only affects /tools.
> It does not determine the final system's target triplet. That is
> detected by automake's config.guess. 2 easy ways around this, load a
> uname hack into the kernel that makes uname -m return i486, then build
> the final system. Or wrap uname and transform the output.
>
> The sysroot book is going to be a way around this barrier once it's
> complete. There's still a lot of holes to patch before I would use it on
> your everyday system. Not to say the builds aren't very stable, they
> just still have a lot of influence from the host. Clfs-embedded uses the
> same method as Clfs-sysroot, which would explain why that worked.

Joe,

yes I followed the chroot method. Your remark implies that switching to
the boot method will work too since uname -m will yield the cpu type of
the target, right? The downside would be that building will take weeks
instead of hours (well, maybe just days ;-(.

What about the floating point issue? Would I also have to define
-msoft-float in order taking into account that the Vortex lacks the FPU?

Thanks for your helping hand so far!

Cheers,

Andreas