[Clfs-support] ppc kernel stack overflow

Antonio Bulgheroni bulgheroni at roma3.infn.it
Mon Dec 10 23:10:21 PST 2007

Dear Ken,

        thank you very much for your advices. I have to say that following
the instruction given in clfs-1.0 is very easy and consequently the
installation of all the recommended packages is straightforward. The only
issue I have is with the kernel. The industrial computer I'm using is
embedding a bridge to a communication bus that requires kernel modifications
to be supported. So this is binding me to use the kernel version (and
patches) provided by Motorola.

Yesterday, few minutes after I wrote my message to the list, I receive
another message from motorola, suggesting to using a much newer kernel
version (2.6.20), this seems to fix the issue. (Temporary) Perl compiled
properly, and when I left yesterday evening, glib was compiling.

Once again I was a version mismatch between the headers and the kernel, but
reading your message I've understood that using kernel newer than the header
is a bit safer than the other way round.

Anyway, I'll keep you all informed....

Cheers,

Antonio

On Dec 11, 2007 12:50 AM, Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> ----- Forwarded message from Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com> -----
>  The fscking list list-headers got the better of me this time.
> Forwarding a copy to the list.
>
> On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 05:20:21PM +0100, Antonio Bulgheroni wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> >     first of all, I would like to thank all the developers for making
> cross
> > builbing linux from scratch an easy task!  Unfortunately I'm here to
> report
> > a problem I'm not able to fix.
> >
> > A brief intro first. I'm using CLFS because I have a single board
> computer
> > called MVME6100 with a Motorola ppc processor and I want to run linux on
> top
> > of that. I don't have any other ppc computer, so the only duable way is
> > cross-compiling. Motorola is (unofficially) distributing a patch for the
> > linux kernel (2.6.14) to make it compatible with MVME6100 and using CFLS
> > managed to boot up into the temporary system and start refining the
> > installation toward the final system. Instead of compiling the kernel
> you
> > suggest, I'm using the Motorola patched one and also I'm not using UDEV.
> >
>  You already have more experience than I do (otherwise you wouldn't
> have got this far), so please forgive me if I suggest things you
> have already looked at.
>
>  The problems seem to happen as soon as perl's configure system gets
> into the kernel headers.  I think you are probably using ARCH=ppc in
> the kernel (2.6.14 was, I think, before ARCH=powerpc).
> Unfortunately, your kernel is too old to provide its own sanitised
> headers, so I can't suggest that you use the headers from the
> patched kernel sources.
>
>  The clfs linux-headers have had little usage on embedded ppc, so
> it's possible there is a breakage hiding amongst them.  But equally,
> I have to say the same thing about the older linux-libc-headers.
> What is absolutely certain is that you cannot safely use newer
> headers than the kernel.  So in this case, headers from 2.6.14 or
> older.
>
>  You should also look _in_detail_ at the kernel patch to see if any
> of the userspace headers need to be altered, e.g. perhaps there are
> new #ifdef options in the kernel headers to support this processor.
> Probably, start by looking at /usr/include/{,linux/,sys/}time.h to
> see what they all reference and look to see if any of it is affected
> by the Motorola patch.  If it was me, I'd probably give up :-(
>
>  Hmm, it's also possible that gcc is doing the wrong thing -
> mainstream 32-bit powerpc is reasonably well tested against recent
> versions of gcc-4.1 and 4.2, but a recent compiler with an old
> kernel could open up a load of new problems.  Is this board merged,
> or close to being merged, in recent kernels or did public
> development stop at 2.6.14 ?  Maybe you could try an older version
> [...]

Antonio Bulgheroni, PhD

Computers have a lot in common with air conditioners:
Once you open WINDOWS, they stop working properly.