[Clfs-support] making cross glibc, --with-__thread and dlopen

Anton Prins - D&R Electronica Weesp B.V. a.prins at d-r.nl
Wed Dec 12 05:41:36 PST 2007

Hello all,

First thanks for the nice CLFS book, this helps me a lot in the Linux World ☺
Regarding the CLFS I have some questions but before I explain my situation.

I develop applications which I will run on my own embedded linux kernel.
What I want to do is to cross compile my tools and applications on a host/build system (debian).

This is working fine for me until I detected some problems compiling GAWK and APACHE2.
Both are using dlopen (dynamic libray open is guess)…  It was possible the build GAWK by linking if static (LD-FLAGS=-static).

Some investigation showed that the –with-__thread option when compiling the first glibc-2.7 disables these functions??...
I wonder why this option is used because also –with-tls is given….

Maybe must I do:

- Make cross binutils
- Make static and small cross compiler
- cross-compile a minimal glibc (Intel x86 chapter 5)

These minimal tools must be used to build a full-blown cross-compiler?

- so make the final cross compile

After this, is it maybe necessary to do a glibc compile again without the __thread??...
What options must be turned on etc...
What I do not want is to go build applications on my target systems.

I hope you can help me,

Kind regards!

Anton Prins