[Clfs-support] ppc kernel stack overflow

Antonio Bulgheroni antonio.bulgheroni at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 08:20:21 PST 2007

Dear all,

    first of all, I would like to thank all the developers for making cross
builbing linux from scratch an easy task!  Unfortunately I'm here to report
a problem I'm not able to fix.

A brief intro first. I'm using CLFS because I have a single board computer
called MVME6100 with a Motorola ppc processor and I want to run linux on top
of that. I don't have any other ppc computer, so the only duable way is
cross-compiling. Motorola is (unofficially) distributing a patch for the
linux kernel (2.6.14) to make it compatible with MVME6100 and using CFLS I
managed to boot up into the temporary system and start refining the
installation toward the final system. Instead of compiling the kernel you
suggest, I'm using the Motorola patched one and also I'm not using UDEV.

The problem appears during the configuration of perl (temporary perl 5.8.8)

   -

   ./configure.gnu --prefix=/tools \
      -Dstatic_ext='Data/Dumper IO Fcntl POSIX' -Dcc="gcc"

   - the output of the configure is in the attached file
   - It seems that checking the existence of time.h or sys/time.h is the
   cause of the kernel panic, but I hardly believe it is so simple.

 I decided to stop here and ask for your advice.

Thanks in advance for your help, cheers

Antonio

--
Antonio Bulgheroni, PhD

Computers have a lot in common with air conditioners:
Once you open WINDOWS, they stop working properly.