[Clfs-support] Strange Init / inittab problem during boot

Richard Stock richardbstock at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 7 08:20:30 PST 2007

I've got a strange problem that looks like something to do with init or
bash but I just can't seem to nail it.

My build is based on sysroot build svn-0.0.1-20070915-ARM

The system is pretty much ok except for some reason at boot the
rc scripts defined in /etc/inittab simply do not get invoked but
if I login to the system after it has booted I can run the scripts on
the command line with no problem.

I've pretty narrowed the problem down to the lines in inittab which would
use a shell because the gettys start fine as do other test binaries.
Anything that would need bash just silently fails.

I thought it may be init, bash or glibc so I've rebuilt all but still no
luck.

What I do know is that it is not a permission or script syntax on the rc
scripts problem as I can run them fine after a login and the system
works just fine.
It is just at boot where I get the problem.

I would really be grateful for any help even debugging pointers as I'm
pulling my hair out with this problem.

FWIW. I passed "init=/bin/bash" as a kernel arg and at the end of the
boot sequence I never get to the shell prompt it just seems to hang so
it would indicate a bash problem but I just don't understand why bash
is ok when I'm logged in but not during boot.

For info my inittab (commented) and boot output are below.

Cheers
Richard

# Begin /etc/inittab

id:3:initdefault:

si::sysinit:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc sysinit   //This does not get invoked

l0:0:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 0 //This does not get invoked
l1:S1:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 1 //This does not get invoked
l2:2:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 2 //This does not get invoked
l3:3:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 3 //This does not get invoked
l4:4:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 4 //This does not get invoked
l5:5:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 5 //This does not get invoked
l6:6:wait:/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc 6 //This does not get invoked

ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -a -r now

su:S016:once:/sbin/sulogin

# This little test binary works
foo::sysinit:/bin/sleep 30

#All the gettys work without problem
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty1
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty2
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty3
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 ttySA0    //I minicom in on this one
5:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 ttySA1

# End /etc/inittab

End of Boot output
-----------------------------
IP route cache hash table entries: 2048 (order: 1, 8192
bytes)
TCP established hash table entries: 8192 (order: 3, 32768
bytes)
TCP bind hash table entries: 8192 (order: 3, 32768
bytes)
TCP: Hash tables configured (established 8192 bind
8192)
TCP reno
registered
TCP bic
registered
NET: Registered protocol family
1
NET: Registered protocol family
17
RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting at
0.
kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5
seconds
EXT3 FS on nand, internal
journal
EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data
mode.
VFS: Mounted root (ext3
filesystem).
Freeing init memory: