[Clfs-support] Howto install GRUB USB Disk with differing devicename on target

Andreas Hofer Andreas.Hofer at dsa-ac.de
Wed Dec 5 00:25:52 PST 2007

Hi list,

I tried to answer my question by grabbing through the hints without
luck, so maybe someone here can help me.

I am installing CLFS (embedded Version) on a USB disk which is plugged
into the development host (Notebook running Ubuntu 7.10). The single
partition ist mounted as recommended at /mnt/clfs. Since in the embedded
version of the book there is no reference to bootloader installation I
have read the relevant parts in the stable 1.0.0 book. I also managed to
install the GRUB package.

But I am not sure if the procedure of installing GRUB's boot sector
described in Chapter 7.19 is applicable to my situation which is as follows:

During Installation onto the USB disk, my Ubuntu drive (SATA) is
/dev/sda and the CLFS drive is /dev/sdb (root partition being /dev/sdb1
mounted at /mnt/clfs). After installation the USB disk containing CLFS
will be operated as the one and only disk of my target system and as
such its device name will be /dev/sda.

Can someone explain to me how to proceed installing GRUB. Specifically:
Which parameters to take for the "root (drive,partition)" and "setup
(drive)" commands and which path to take in menu.lst?

Cheers,

Andreas