[Clfs-dev] why there isn't any standard CLFS ARM Book?

Michele Bucca michele.bucca at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 16:10:33 PST 2018

Hello There

I was wondering why there wasn't a regular CLFS book for the ARM
architecture. Yes, we have clfs-embedded but we don't have a regular
CLFS Book. The only architectures supported are x86, x86_64, sparc,
mips, but not ARM. Why?

Nowadays there are a lot of ARM based Single Board Computers like the
Raspberry Pi so I think that maybe the ARM community would benefit
from a book like this.

I know that there's a PiLFS project out there, but it's not a book,
rather a set of scripts that build LFS for the RPI. Still it's a
pretty useful resource.

I'm having trouble building a Cross-compiler for ARMv7 (soft float)
using the latest packages used in LFS-8.3, glibc-2.28. I don't know if
you're interested in helping me with my problem. I Tried to build a
toolchain for ARMv5 (also soft float) and glibc builds fine if I
disable werrors. The toolchain can build several packages such as
busybox, binutils, make, GCC but it fails with *tar*.

If I had a book maybe it would be easier for me to build a working
toolchain without this kind of issues. Let me guess, ARM processors
have too many differences between them and it is difficult to build a
book that works for all of them, right? Let me know what you think. I
really like the ARM architecture and it would be a shame for me to
abandon it.

Best Wishes
Michele Bucca