[Clfs-dev] Matching up CLFS snapshot versions with LFS/BLFS releases

Kevin Buckley kevin.m.buckley at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 17:25:44 PDT 2017

On 22 July 2017 at 14:30, DJ Lucas <blfs-dev at lucasit.com> wrote:

> Oh, I missed the first message to LFS-Dev....I have original patch which
> should match, or at least be close to 8.0.
>
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~dj/LFS-Multilib-20170225.diff

Just to say that that patch applied cleanly to the 8.0 book but left a
missing stanza in

packages.ent

for the ISL package, that produced a small amount of noise
when rendering the patched 8.0 book sources.

I grabbed the stanza from the current (commit 24c892dd) Git's
packages.ent, vis

<!ENTITY isl-version "0.17.1">
<!ENTITY isl-size "1,441 KB">
<!ENTITY isl-url "http://isl.gforge.inria.fr/isl-&isl-version;.tar.xz">
<!ENTITY isl-md5 "20b83900e234f982a566a3a6b3503bf1">
<!ENTITY isl-home "http://isl.gforge.inria.fr">

and added that in and it all then rendered without issue.

Would also add that I have since followed the budiling of the
first six parts of your "Chapter 10", so

===================
10. Adding multilib to an existing system

Multilib Introduction
Binutils-2.27 Multilib (temp)
GCC-6.3.0 Multilib (temp)
Glibc-2.25 32-bit (temp)
Binutils-2.27 Multilib
GCC-6.3.0 Multilib
Glibc-2.25 Multilib
===================

(and I also added in the ISL source to that last GCC)

and that my Xen build now gets a lot further, although because the
current Xen builds try to download from the interweb thing (yes,
really: no self contained source tarball!), I didn't get all the way
through, but it's looking very promising.

I also note that your build order is slightly different to William's
origunal suggestion

>> You can do all this in
>> your running system. But this order: binutils with multilib capability
>> and 64bit bfd, GCC with multilib support, then GLIBC, and then GCC.

which appears to suggest an extra GCC build AFTER the MultiLib Glibc

Is that necessary ?

Will keep you posted: thanks again,
Kevin