[Clfs-dev] Matching up CLFS snapshot versions with LFS/BLFS releases

DJ Lucas blfs-dev at lucasit.com
Fri Jul 21 16:00:15 PDT 2017

On 07/21/2017 12:50 AM, Kevin Buckley wrote:
> On 21 July 2017 at 01:28, William Harrington <kb0iic at berzerkula.org> wrote:
>
>> Well for one LFS != CLFS. We have a different release schedule. Also, can
>> count the active devs on half a hand.
>
> My apologies William,
>
> I was aware of your involvment in CLFS (and in *FS in general, come
> to that) but just went with the three names I could see on the 1st page
> of the book, although I had to go a long way back into the LFS lists
> to find the addresses that failed to deliver so no great surprise !
>
> Clearly the CLFS list would have been a better starting point.
>
> I'm also aware that LFS != CLFS.
>
> I still have an archived email from around 2008 or 09 where someone
> was as pains to point that out !
>
> I was kind of writing more in hope that anything else but I guess
> the twain still have never met as yet.
>
>> We are closer to LFS development as the book versions are concerned.
>> Stable releases will not at all match LFS. They release multiple times a
>> year. We release when the stars, planets and moons are all aligned.
>
> I guess I'll pick the closest moon/planet/star then, and follow that!
>

>>> 2) If I already have a 64-bit LFS/BLFS 8.0 system, can I just retro-fit
>>>      the 32-bit libs (so as to give what I think is then a MultiLib
>>> system)
>>>      using the 64-bit (Chapter 6) toolchain ?
>>>     Or do I have to go and build a MultiLib compiler in the "Chapter 5"
>>>      stage
>

>> You are probably using /lib /usr/lib for 32-bit, so you can continue with
>> /lib /usr/lib and use /lib32 /usr/lib32 for your 32 bit components
>

> I'm thinking that you meant to write
>
> "You are probably using /lib /usr/lib for 64-bit, "
>
> there, or else it doesn't quite hang together ?
>
>> or move
>> every library that is 64-bit to /lib64 /usr/lib64 and then update all of
>> the pkg-config files and rebuild binutils with multilib and 64bit bfd
>> support, gcc with multilib support, and then glibc.
>
>> You can do all this in
>> your running system. But this order: binutils with multilib capability and
>> 64bit bfd, GCC with multilib support, then GLIBC, and then GCC.
>
> OK. This sounds promising.
>
> Having said that, we have a NetBSD/PkgSrc Dom0 box here at work
> and it's not clear that the Xen there were any 32-bit bits during the build.
> although I need to check on that because we're not sure.
>
>> You will have to decide what layout you want. Can refer to this for help:
>> https://www.williamfeely.info/wiki/Lfs-multilib/blfs  uses lib32 for
>> 32bit. if ya going to use lib for 32-bit and lib64 for 64-bit then refer
>> to CLFS.
>>
>> I'd most likely go the lib32 route for your 32-bit components.

See below, I went through this exercise around 8.0's release.

> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> As to Roger's
>
>> I think it would be great if someone created a hint on exactly how to
>> do this. I would like to know how to build wine on a BLFS 64-bit
>> system.
>
> I'll make sure I post my notes once I have things working.
>
> I have a set of XML sources for LFS/BLFS/CLFS now and can
> build a rendered Boook from them, so the original plan (you may
> possibly recall that I am a PkgUser builder) was to create a set of
> extra sections that documented what I had done to get a Xen
> environment up and running. and put it up somwhere.
>
> Let's see where I can get to: cheers again for the info,
> Kevin

Kevin, nice to see you on list. FYI, I attempted to do this in LFS book
form a few months ago...might be of use, might be complete waste. It is
pretty close to William's suggestion in LFS book form (I have an extra
build of binutils, however, and I forget why...possibly just
separation). It is not CLFS. I didn't make any attempt to have anything
more than the necessary 32bit libs from LFS to go on and build the
necessary 32bit xorg libs for TeamViewer/wine. It *is* out of date and
was last tested against LFS-8.0. I tried to shoehorn in the most recent
glibc, binutils, and gcc changes in my chapter 10 for you real quick,
but it is yet untested with current versions.

Here is a rendered book with additional chapter 10:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~dj/lfs-systemd-multilib/

Chapter 10 would be no different for SysV except maybe the eudev
libraries instead of systemd.

If that is of any use, the patch for LFS-SVN is here:
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~dj/multilib.diff

Anybody can feel free to use all, any, or none of it. :-)

HTH

--DJ