[Clfs-dev] CLFS vs. LFS

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Mon Aug 29 14:28:33 PDT 2016

On Mon, August 29, 2016 12:57, A. Wan wrote:

> I have been using LFS for a long time (7.9 right now).  Somehow all
> my machines have the same Celeron processor so I can almost copy binaries
> at will.  But I know I must go 64 bit some day (I am a late-adopter
> type).   So I am trying
> CLFS-SYSVINIT-TRUNK-SYSVINIT-20160729.
>
> I want to understand the
> reasons for the difference between the build order in Chapter 10 of the
> CLFS book and Chapter 6 of the LFS book.
>
> I am sure there must
> be good reason not to simply follow Chapter 6 of the LFS book once the
> "temporary tools" (+ temporary perl, and perhaps a few more
> things) are available.
>
> Alex

Hello Alex,

Our chapter 10 differs from LFS chapter 6 because of the way dependencies
may be met. Some aren't set in stone, but some are.  You can usually get
away following LFS order when in chapter 10, but some things may not be in
our temp system build which is in the LFS tools chapter. One example is we
install util-linux twice. Once to get the libraries for future packages,
2nd to build a complete util-linux.