[Clfs-dev] Util-linux and libudev

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Sun Mar 9 14:07:20 PDT 2014

On Mar 9, 2014, at 3:07 PM, William Harrington wrote:

>> why not just rebuild and install the two relevant programs after
>> systemd, seems much cleaner to me or am I missing something
>
> Since we don't need util-linux extracted twice in final system and
> then add another page, util-linux pass2 and then rebuild and
> install, may as well do it once and only move util linux towards the
> end. It'd definitely be easier to build util-linux twice without
> book edits, but it is much easier to add the very few book edits to
> e2fsprogs and systemd to utilize util-linux from /tools.

Another option is to do this:

Because of utilizing libblkid from tools, which means the multilib
books need multiple util linux builds for 32bit and n32 libblkid
installs, I say we put a note at util-linux stating if you want to
utilize the extra features for findmnt and lsblk and udev, rebuild
util-linux after systemd.

How does that sound?

This is definitely more work than should be required just to include
util-linux.

I've never used the utilties, but someone out there may use them and
want the extra features when using findmnt and lsblk when using libudev.