[Clfs-dev] Systemd 211 Notes

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Wed Mar 12 13:22:56 PDT 2014

Greetings,

Plan to upgrade to Systemd 211.

Quick notes:

Remove libdbus before systemd, as it isn't needed anymore.

Apply this patch to install pkg-config files as we are not enabling
compat lib support (used for systemd upgrades):

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~krejzi/systemd-compat.patch

Add these configure options to systemd since pkgconfig files aren't
around from libdbus:

--with-dbuspolicydir=/etc/dbus-1/system.d \
--with-dbussessionservicedir=/usr/share/dbus-1/services \
--with-dbussystemservicedir=/usr/share/dbus-1/system-services \
--with-dbusinterfacedir=/usr/share/dbus-1/interfaces

install as normal (take note of new directories and files installed to
add to book).

This release also includes systemd-networkd service.

http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-networkd.service.html

https://coreos.com/blog/intro-to-systemd-networkd/

Network config can become simpler (although not for wireless and wpa)

Static config is rather simple and users should setup /etc/resolv.conf
properly.

cat > /etc/systemd/network/10-static.network << "EOF"
[Match]
Name=ens33

[Network]
Address=192.168.0.15/24
Gateway=192.168.0.1
EOF

DHCP config doesn't need a dhcp client installed but needs a config
(ens33 forf my example but can also use a wildcard for dhcp with all
interfaces):

cat > /etc/systemd/network/10-dhcp.network << "EOF"
[Match]
Name=ens33

[Network]
DHCP=yes
EOF

For resolv.conf, systemd-networkd writes to /run/systemd/network/
resolv.conf  so need to run:

ln -sfv /run/systemd/network/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf

Users can still have the option of using a dhcp client and using the
dhcpcd at .service unit. However, by default, systemd-networkd is enabled.
So if a user sets up a network config in /etc/systemd/network/, then
network should be properly configured on next boot into the CLFS build.

We can totally rewrite the network section and include on one page for
networkd configuration sections for setting up static, dhcp.
Can even have sections regarding Bridges, Bonds, and VLANs, but not
required.