[Clfs-dev] binutils bison and flex 2.5.38

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Mon Mar 3 12:43:48 PST 2014

Greetings,

As I was building in the last few months, I've noticed that bintuils
ar is using libfl.a from tools.

In the past, HJL or FSF Binutils had been used, and when using HJL
bison and flex had to be installed before binutils, but with FSF it
didn't require bison and flex to be installed.

That aside, when we built binutils, ar will use the libfl.a from
tools. Is that desirable?  I think not.  bison and flex can rely on
final system glibc and be built properly to be used with final system
binutils. I propose moving bison and flex before binutils in final
system.

That way binutils ar is using a final system libfl.a.

Flex 2.5.38 introduces a shared library of flex. This causes issues
with the automake test suite with a couple of failures. But I don't
know if it will also affect the binutils test suite.

With my daily work use builds, I build shared libs of bison liby and
flex libfl and use them and install no static, but I also don't run
test suites.

I also see no reason to move bison and flex before binutils. If we
stick wtih 2.5.37 for now, then binutils ar will use finalsystem
libfl.a rather than tools.