[Clfs-dev] Cross-Compiled Linux From Scratch - Version GIT-20140611-x86_64-Pure64

Martin Ward macros_the_black at ntlworld.com
Sat Jun 14 11:59:02 PDT 2014

Hi Everyone

Just finished building the above  and all in all , its in good shape,
the changes to the boot method have worked great with one or two exceptions

1. I though we were in a package freeze, found two updates to packages ?
2 . There does seem a penchant for alphabetising the order of the
packages for no particular reason other than abc, which undoubtedly
works fine if you are scripting but if you are trying to read the book,
doesn't work for me. I much prefer a functional approach, but do
appreciate its a moot point.

However I do have what I think would be some improvements, mostly text
explanations

Section 5 Cross Compile Tools
  Some of the wording in why we are doing what we are doing, i think
needs to be expanded a little
ie we install these particular versions of the programs as we need these
versions, rather than making do with ones that are already on the host
system which could be unsuitable for a variety of reasons.
example
5.4.1
"Here we will install an *m4* binary that can run on the host system, as
this program is required by GMP"

Perhaps we should be more explict, in saying we install this particular
version of m4 as it provides the required features needed by GMP in this
chapter and in the basic tools chapter,as the host may not have m4 or
one that is compatible with the particular version of  GMP . ditto file
5.3.1

Chapter 6  constructing a temp system loooks good

Chapter 7
if your going to boot

7.1 No idea why Bc was moved here , to me it fits better in chapeter 5
as its a "host" program but moot point
7.3 Bootscripts , really should go either before or after compiling the
kernel, flows much better and then is in line with chapter 10

These seem to work great apart from the setclock script, either i did
something wrong, or after the reboot, my clock was always set to UTC ,
whatever value I set the environment variable to.
I suspect a hard coded path in util-linux some where.

7.14

both  nogroup and nobody have the same GID
suggest change nobody to 65534

10.4.1 Temporary Perl , this seems a better fit in section 9 test suite
tools, but moot point again

10.26.1 Adjusting the hwclock location, doesn't seem necessary, as
systemd uses /etc/adjtime to hold the data

10.67 Man-db should come after 10.54 Libpipeline, flows better

Otherwise good job
No particular errors that looked serious in the gcc, glibc testsuites

cheers

Martin