[Clfs-dev] GCC command line option cleanup

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Sun Aug 10 11:33:09 PDT 2014

Greetings,

Throughout the various GCC version changes, some configure options
have been added, some may be obsolete, and some may not change.

We need to verify the GCC builds in cross tools, temp system, and
final system to make sure we have configure options that are needed,
aren't needed.

Some options may be auto, as well and may not need to be included with
the configure line.

We have to be sure for cross-tools GCC that we understand that the
host system may not be a GNU/Linux host and so some options which
default based on a linux host do not get used and that we specifically
set the options for a linux target.

Final system should be the easiest to determine if the configure
options are good as they are or if some need to be removed, added
based on what is auto.

Chris mentioned a ticket LFS has for this, as well, but they are
targeting for GCC 4.9.

All is fine as it is, but we may be able to reduce the command line
options for configure in each of the GCC builds in the book. Has
anyone already looked into this?

Perhaps we should create a ticket for this, as well.