[Clfs-dev] Hello again!

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sun Sep 22 17:48:39 PDT 2013

 Hi,

 some people here may remember me.  For anyone else - I used to play
with ppc on LFS, and was interested in building a pure64 system.
Used to do x86_64-64 and ppc{,64} stuff here, but more interested in
UTF-8 than the other guys, and stopped editing when clfs moved to git
(at that time I had minimal git experience) and then I dropped off
most of the lists when my ISP did something that stopped me
downloading my email for a year or so.

 I've always continued with LFS, and after some interesting learning
experiences building multilib desktops I eventually went back to
non-multilib (and for my ppc64 G5, 32-bit userspace) because I
couldn't keep two sets of buildscripts up to date :)

 More recently, my G5 has been running a system based on LFS from
mid 2010.  For some reason it took me a long while before I managed
to build a 64-bit cross-compiler so that that 32-bit userspace could
build its own kernels - I don't recall what the problem was.  And
then I had fun and games trying to keep firefox up-to-date and
eventually gave up (if the weather is warm, the box makes the room
too hot, and it has to run for hours to do anything).

 But a few months ago I managed to build a recent firefox, and to
get a 3.10 kernel which would stay up (the ppc64 defconfig didn't,
turned out to be the HighRes timers, I think).  And now that LFS-7.4
is out and the 3.10 kernel is scheduled for long-term maintenance, I
thought it was time to try a new build.  With the exception of the
ppc-specific things from cross-lfs (many thanks for the yaboot
updates in particular, but it took me a while to realise that it no
longer includes a static libext2fs - I'd long since got rid of that
from my builds), the system is based on LFS-7.4.  So, most of my
issues do not directly relate to cross-lfs.  But I'll be replying to
William's post for a couple of things which *might* affect
cross-lfs.

ĸen