[Clfs-dev] Embedded with EGLIBC - Testers Wanted

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Oct 8 14:35:00 PDT 2013

On 10/07/2013 07:43:29 AM, Andrew Bradford wrote:
> > I'm not sure if an openembedded tutorial is a CLFS project - but if
> you
> > managed it your praises would be sung far and wide.
>
> Which would be sad, as I thought that was half the point of Yocto.
> But
> Yocto docs, as far as I can tell, are quite horrible to actually learn
> anything from.  I should read them again and see if that's changed.

Yocto is a total sideshow.

Moblin, Maemo, Meego, Tizen, Yocto, and you expected much out of it?
This is the fifth "not android" these guys have tried. Intel's "moblin"
joined Nokia's Maemo to form the Linux Foundation's Meego. Then the
Linux Foundation cancelled that in favor of Tizen. Then Intel announced
Yocto, following up on the success of lesswatts.org. (You'll probably
need archive.org for that last one.) What all of these projects have in
common is that Android installs more new seats each day than they do
cumulatively since their introduction, and the gap is _widening_.

The interesting lineage is
mainframe->minicomputer->micro/PC->smartphone, and the smartphone OS on
our side of the fence is Android. Where is Yocto in this story?
Announcing yocto was like announcing a new minicomputer OS in 1993. So
what? At least OpenMoko (this generation's OS/2) was targeting the
right niche. (The Firefox and Ubuntu phone guys are more in the BeOS
mold: "dude, that ship has sailed".)

Wake me when the yocto guys start talking about leveraging containers
to run their chroot alongside an android root filesystem to interact
through a virtual network or something. Or maybe cleaning up the
android build to supplement the giant hairball with some less broken
packages while still running the legacy apps...

(Meanwhile,the previous platform gets kicked up into the server space
by the new one people actually have in front of them. This time the
process is being called "the cloud", named after a large server at NSA
headquarters everyone uploads all their data to. Conventional linux
distros move to The Cloud so the NSA can monitor them more easily, and
there's still plenty of money in big iron, but Yocto isn't really
targeting that either. At that end of things the story is there's only
one server space, so when DEC got kicked up to it IBM won but kept the
minicomputer technology, and now IBM is losing to Amazon now that
beowulf clusters have VMs that can do live migration and dynamic
provisioning.)

Rob