[Clfs-dev] Embedded with EGLIBC - Testers Wanted

Kirk Terrell knjterrell at mybluelight.com
Thu Oct 3 20:27:05 PDT 2013

On 10/02/2013 10:52 AM, Rob Landley wrote:
> On 10/01/2013 10:11:03 PM, Andrew Bradford wrote:
>> it a

>> That branch is a dead end but the concept is living on again for me!
>>
>> > So I'm giving up on EGLIBC or glibc.  They're both huge and that's not
>> > really in line with the goals of the embedded book.  For now uClibc
>> > makes the most sense but I'm not completely ruling out musl-libc
>> until I
>> > try it at least once.
>>
>> glibc isn't as horrible as first thought, size wise.  It's still not as
>> small as uClibc can be or as musl is, but that's OK I think as the
>> overhead of configuring it is very low and binutils + gcc don't need any
>> special patches to support it.  Low overhead and straight forward
>> configuration win in my mind, still.
>
> One of the things that attracts me to uClibc and musl is you don't
> need perl as a build prerequisite for either. I pushed patches
> upstream to linux to take out the perl build prerequisite that
> appeared in 2.6.25 (as of 3.10 or so it's gone away again), so if
> you're using a libc other than glibc, perl can move from LFS to BLFS.
>
> Also, size isn't my only criteria, I like the simplicity of musl. If
> somebody wants to security audit their system, it's a lot easier to
> read through the whole of musl than to read and understand all the
> glibc code. (uClibc... less so than it used to be.)
>
> Rob

I've spent some time on using musl as a replacement in CLFS embedded
fork. The biggest drawback is the 60/40 chance that an additional
package will compile. I ran thru a sample of 13 packages from BLFS that
were chosen because they used the GNU Build System and were written in C
and had no additional prerequisites - only 8 packages compiled using the
instructions in BLFS.

What niche is the CLFS embedded targeting - a raspPI can run a full
blown desktop distribution?