[Clfs-dev] Embedded - WRT?

Andrew Bradford andrew at bradfordembedded.com
Mon Jun 10 06:06:26 PDT 2013

Is it worth removing the WRT "architecture" and just keeping mips, x86
and arm?  I think so, what does the list think?

For the embedded book, the WRT arch is the same as MIPS (it's a MIPS
processor inside) but WRT has some extra steps to build firmware, setup
to flash images onto a wrt54, and there's an older kenel config
provided.  But WRT hasn't been maintained in a long time and is getting
quite out of date compared to the core parts of the embedded book (for
x86, mips and arm).  The embedded book is getting little love, as of
late, but I hope to correct that.  Removing WRT will make loving the
embedded book easier.

I understand the desire to have a target that's cheap and easy to buy,
but the WRT54 series of routers are no longer cheap compared to things
like a BeagleBone Black or a Raspberry Pi.  A few years ago, the WRT54
was the cheap dev kit, it's less so now.  Besides that there have been
circuit changes to it over the years and I'm not even sure that the
WRT54GL you can buy today is the same system as it was a few years ago.
Supporting the unique hardware setup of the WRT, or any other dev kit,
is something I'd like to get away from (see my bootloaders / kernel
config question [1]).

[1]:http://lists.cross-lfs.org/pipermail/clfs-dev-cross-lfs.org/2013-June/001443.html

I'd prefer to help people build an embedded filesystem, possibly with
QEMU configuration for the kernel, rather than try to support lots of
hardware.  Transitioning to specific hardware would be left up to the
user (mainly that consists of bootloader, kernel, and device tree).

Thanks,
Andrew