[Clfs-dev] Embedded - Remove Bootloader and Kernel Config/Building Section?

Andrew Bradford andrew at bradfordembedded.com
Fri Jun 7 09:05:02 PDT 2013

For most non-embedded systems, bootloaders and kernel configuration /
build, is quite straight forward.  But for embedded systems often the
bootloader and kernel code might be branches from older versions of
Linux / u-boot / etc maintained (or not maintained) by the silicon
vendor rather than mainline releases and with significant changes that
won't ever make it upstream.

For this reason, I'd like to remove the kernel configuration / build and
bootloader sections from the embedded book and focus the book more on
building the cross toolchain and userspace, leaving the bootloader and
kernel up to the user. Many dev kits out there have already built
kernels and bootloaders that can be downloaded (I used the ones provided
with my BeagleBoard-xM for the longest time when doing CLFS builds) and
used without modification.

If the kernel headers section can stabilize on an older version of
Linux, like, say 3.0, then the headers should work fine for most dev
kits which supply a decently recent (in the past 2+ years) kernel.

For the bootloader, anything will do so long as it can be handed a
kernel and told where to find the root file system.

What does the list think?

Thanks,
Andrew