[Clfs-dev] Coreutils 8.21

William Harrington kb0iic at berzerkula.org
Mon Jun 3 11:23:56 PDT 2013

Greetings,

Well I made sure Coreutils 8.21 didn't have issues before I applied it
to the dev book, and now I'm testing gcc 4.8.1 with multilib to push
it to git, and now coreutils in temp system wants to rebuild all of
the man-pages. I didn't have this before when doing powerpc or x86_64
pure64. Anyone else having issues? My host is using texinfo 5.1, and
I"ve had to apply a patch for binutils 2.23.2 for it already. Not sure
if that is causing the problem, but I don't really feel like touching
all of the man pages just so it won't build them all.

   GEN    man/chroot.1
help2man: can't get '--help' info from man/chroot.td/chroot
make[2]: *** [man/chroot.1] Error 126
make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/clfs/sources/coreutils-8.21'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/clfs/sources/coreutils-8.21'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Apparently it attempts to run src/chroot which is no binary executable
cause of the cross compile, so the man page can't be created.
This happens with every man page. So do we have to touch all of the
man pages now so they don't get rebuilt?

When replying, make sure you aren't doing x86_64 to x86 or any other
target where the binaries can be ran in the temp system.
I am talking about cross compiles between arches where the host can't
run the target binaries being installed into /tools.